Going home for the summer or planning a trip for spring break? Want to invite family members for a visit? You can find everything you need to know on traveling and reentering the US as an F-1 or J-1 student and helping family members come for a visit. And remember, the US government determines your and any family member's eligibility to enter the US. Be prepared and have the needed travel documents with you. 

Bon voyage!

Traveling somewhere?    


I-20 travel signature

Make sure you have a valid travel signature

  • Located at the middle of page 2 of your I-20; OR bottom right of page 1 of your DS-2019.
  • For students, your travel signature is valid for 1 year (unless the end date on your I-20 or DS-2019 is sooner). For those on post-completion OPT or Academic Training, it is valid for 6 months.
  • Find out how to get a new travel signature.



Take these documents with you:

  1. Passport with F-1/J-1 visa
  2. I-20 or DS-2019 (F-1 students, be sure you have your printed I-20)
  3. SEVIS fee receipt
  4. Proof of financial support (this may include personal or family bank statements, any affidavit of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter)
  5. Enrollment verification
  6. Negative COVID-19 test - Air passengers are required to get a viral test no more than 1 day before their flight to the US departs. Travelers are also required to provide written documentation of their lab result to the airline or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. More details regarding documentation for a negative test and FAQs can be found with the Centers for Disease Control.
  7. COVID Vaccination Required for Travelers Arriving to the US

See more