Faculty Awards and Accomplishments
Read below for a sampling of awards and honors earned by NYU faculty in 2021-2022.
Andrew Gordon Wilson, Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Data Science in the Faculty of Arts and Science, received an NSF CAREER Award.
Four NYU faculty members were elected to the National Academy of Sciences:
- Fedor A. Bogomolov, Silver Professor of Mathematics in the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Paul DiMaggio, Professor of Sociology in the Faculty of Arts and Science
- Benjamin G. Neel, Professor of Medicine in the Grossman School of Medicine
- Michael J. Shelley, Lilian and George Lyttle Professor of Applied Mathematics in the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
Two NYU professors were awarded a joint 2022 Pulitzer Prize in History:
- Nicole Eustace, Professor of History in the Faculty of Arts and Science, for her book Covered with Night: A Story of Murder and Indigenous Justice in Early America
- Ada Ferrer, Silver Professor of History and Latin American and Caribbean History, for her book Cuba: An American History
Johannes Stroebel, David S. Loeb Professor of Finance in the Leonard N. Stern School of Business, has been named a 2022 Andrew Carnegie Fellow.
Two NYU faculty members were awarded 2022 Guggenheim Fellowships by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation:
- Lorie Novak, Professor of Photography & Imaging at Tisch School of the Arts
- Terike Haapoja, Adjunct Instructor of Art and Art Professions in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development and of Technology, Culture, and Society in the Tandon School of Engineering
- Donna Hallas, Clinical Professor, Rory Meyers College of Nursing
- Sonia Marciano, Clinical Professor of Management & Organizations, Leonard N. Stern School of Business
- Mara Mills, Associate Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Michael Poles, Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, Grossman School of Medicine
- Mark Siegal, Professor of Biology and Genomics, Faculty of Arts and Science
- Kenji Yoshino, Professor, School of Law
Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson, Adjunct Instructor in the Tisch School's Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music, received an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature for his film Summer of Soul, as well as a Grammy for Best Music Film.
Terrance Hayes, Professor of Creative Writing in the Faculty of Arts and Science, was elected to the Academy of Arts and Letters.
Sharon Olds, Erich Maria Remarque Professor of Creative Writing in FAS, received the 2022 Frost Medal for distinguished lifetime achievement in poetry.
Anne Lounsbery, Professor of Russian and Slavic Studies in FAS, won the 2021 American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages' Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Profession.
Jef Boeke, Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Tandon and Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology at NYU Langone was inducted into the National Academy of Inventors, in recognition of his pioneering work in genomics and synthetic biology.
Six NYU faculty were named to the American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows (AAAS):
- Yann LeCun, Silver Professor of Data Science, Computer Science, Neural Science, and Electrical Engineering, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Okhee Lee, Professor of Childhood Education in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Juliana Freire, Professor of Computer Science and Data Science, Tandon School of Engineering
- Mark E. Tuckerman, Professor of Chemistry and Mathematics, Faculty of Arts and Science
- Michael Hout, Professor of Sociology, Faculty of Arts and Science
- Paul M. Romer, University Professor; Collegiate Professor, College of Arts and Science; Professor of Economics and Law, School of Law; affiliated faculty, NYU Wagner
Two NYU faculty were awarded MacArthur "Genius" Grants:
- Nicole R. Fleetwood, James Weldon Johnson Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Victor Torres, C.V. Starr Professor of Microbiology in the Grossman School of Medicine
Jonathan Niles-Weed, Assistant Professor of Mathematics at the Courant Institute for Mathematical Sciences and the Center for Data Science, was awarded a fellowship from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
Neset Ozel, Postdoctoral Fellow in Biology and Genomics in FAS, has received the Peter and Patricia Gruber International Research Award in Neuroscience from the Society for Neuroscience.
Michael Beckerman, Carroll And Milton Petrie Professor of Music in FAS, received the Gratias Agit award from the Czech government for his work in Czech music.
Okhee Lee, Professor of Childhood Education at Steinhardt, received the 2021 Exemplary Contributions to Practice-Engaged Research Award from the American Educational Research Association.
Enrique Rojas, Assistant Professor of Biology in FAS, has been named a 2021 Packard Fellow for Science and Engineering by the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
Katepalli Sreenivasan, Eugene Kleiner Professor for Innovation in Mechanical Engineering and Dean Emeritus at Tandon, received the 2021 Leo P. Kadanoff Prize for achievement in physics.
Kwame Anthony Appiah, Professor of Philosophy and Law, was awarded a Gold Honor Medal by the National Institute of Social Sciences. In January, he was elected President of the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
Elza Erkip, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Tandon, has won the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Communications Society Edwin Howard Armstrong Achievement Award.
Two NYU faculty wrote books that were named finalists for the National Book Award:
- Nicole Eustace, Professor of History in FAS, for Covered with Night: A Story of Murder and Indigenous Justice in Early America
- Deb Willis, University Professor in Tisch, for The Black Civil War Soldier
Four faculty members of the School of Law have been selected by President Biden to serve on the Presidential Commission on the Supreme Court:
- Bob Bauer, Professor of Practice and Distinguished Scholar in Residence
- Trevor Morrison, Dean and Eric M. and Laurie B. Roth Professor of Law
- Richard Pildes, Sudler Family Professor of Constitutional Law
- Michael Waldman, President of the Brennan Center for Justice
Jeff Cheeger, Silver Professor of Mathematics at the Courant Institute, was awarded the 2021 Shaw Prize in Mathematical Sciences.
Sydney Ludvigson, Silver Professor of Economics in the Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS), was named a 2021 Fellow of the Econometric Society.
Michael Carmine, Associate Arts Professor and Academic Director at the Kanbar Institute of Film and Television at the Tisch School of the Arts, received a Creative Arts Emmy Award in the category of Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control For A Series for his work on Last Week Tonight With John Oliver.
Michael A. Lindsey, Martin Silver Professor of Poverty Studies at the Silver School of Social Work, received the Distinguished Contribution to Child Advocacy Award from The Society for Child and Family Policy and Practice. In January 2022, he was elected to the board of the American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare.
Two faculty members from FAS were awarded the Rome Prize from the American Academy in Rome:
- Eugenio Refini, Associate Professor of Italian
- Robin Coste Lewis, Instructor in the NYU Paris Creative Writing MFA Program