Study Away Students
New York University requires that students studying away as part of their educational program be covered under the NYU sponsored Study Away health insurance plan administered by Worldwide Insurance Services. The school- sponsored GeoBlue program utilizes the Blue Cross Blue Shield provider network in the United States and provides easy access to care. The program has four major components:
- Semester Long Programs (including Freshman Study Away students)*
- Short-Term Programs*
- NYU Abu Dhabi
- NYU Shanghai
* Students enrolled in these GeoBlue plans are still required to maintain other health insurance coverage in their home countries.
GeoBlue Health Insurance Program for Students Studying Abroad
New York University requires that students studying away as part of their educational program be covered under the NYU-sponsored study abroad health insurance plan administered by World Wide Insurance Services. The school- sponsored GeoBlue program provides easy access to worldwide care.
Semester Long Programs
Coverage for students while attending NYU study abroad sites or exchange programs is provided at no additional cost to the students. Students must continue to maintain health insurance coverage in their home countries in the event that they need to return home.
Short Term Programs
This program provides GeoBlue coverage for students participating in short trips outside the United States. Coverage is the same as for semester long programs.
Health insurance charges for this coverage are typically included in the program cost that students pay for the trip. Students should confirm with their program coordinator that they will be enrolled in the GeoBlue insurance program.
If not automatically enrolled, students must enroll directly with GeoBlue as follows:
- Go to http://www.GeoBluestudents.com
- On the right side of the page enter group access code FAF-10228 where it indicates “Enroll in your school or organization’s group plan.”
- Follow the instructions for enrolling. The cost of the GeoBlue plan is $60.69 per month. Payment can be made by credit card.
Please note: the NYU Sponsored Basic and Comprehensive plans do provide some worldwide coverage. However, when outside the United States students must pay their entire healthcare costs out-of-pocket and then be reimbursed either 80% under the Basic Plan or 90% under the Comprehensive and Tandon Plans.